September 16, 2009

The Sun is shining ...

... and the crazy people are on the streets. What is it about warmer weather that brings the strange people out?

I am always amazed that as soon as the temperatures go up, we get to see (and often smell) the zaniest, craziest, maddest people on earth walking the sidewalks of the city.

This afternoon as I was walking down Market Street to get my weekly Sushi down at Montgomery Station, I must have noticed at least five different people either having very loud conversations with themselves, swatting imaginary flies, just sitting there picking their noses or simply walking around emitting the most vile odor you could ever imagine!

Homelessness is a big issue here in San Francisco. Many ‘alternative’ people are attracted to this city because it provides a lot of support for its homeless citizens and the climate here is very tolerable. This city also has a wonderful kinetic energy that attracts the more liberal type and diversity is celebrated in all its forms.

I don’t think there is a simple answer to homelessness so I am not going to even offer solutions here, nor am I going to criticize the fact that there are so many people on the streets. It is a very complicated issue, it is not simply about feeding people, or putting people into homes, it is a complex set of circumstances that drives people to live on the streets and it is all part of what makes this city so special. (Yes, even the smelly ones)

I appreciate all forms of life and I believe we all have a place on this wonderful planet of ours and if someone offends you, cross the street.

Namaste.