September 9, 2009

Today is the 9th Day of the 9th month of the 9th year of this century. The number 9 is an interesting number. There is a lot of data written about it on Wikipedia but the piece that interests me most is that it is the first composite lucky number. I like the idea of lucky numbers, everyone needs at least one that they have faith in. I personally like the number 5 but I like the idea of number 9 being a BIG number and today is the last time we will ever see single digits forming this pattern in our lifetime, that in itself is exciting.

Last night I was invited to a rehearsal of Il Travatore (The Troubador) by the SF Opera Company – All I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW – the lead vocalist sang songs that made sound sigh, it was so hauntingly beautiful. I am always pleased when I am exposed to culture of this nature. I’m not the biggest opera fan but I feel richer for having experienced this last night.

In another 'cultural' event, this mornings ride on the Muni was quite amusing, I had to wait for three buses before I could get on, there was a police woman controlling how passengers got on the bus. It really fascinates me that in some cultures people simply know how to be respectful during the morning commute and find ways of squeezing themselves onto mass transit of sorts, but here, in my neighborhood, someone felt that it was necessary to police how people got onto the vehicle...fascinating!

Maybe in out next evolution as humans occupying this planet we'll have figured out how to live in harmony with each other. Until then, let's have some fun with nines. We can go the whole nine yards, dressed to the nines on our way to cloud nine.