July 7, 2010

Almost There...

I've had some amazing experiences this last month, the most notable one being the visit to Auburn to volunteer at mile 98 of the Western States 100 Endurance Run. Seeing people after they have run for almost 24 hours is nothing but humbling and awe-inspiring. I aspire to be able to run that far for that long one day but I have a lot more training to do before I can contemplate that. I love running trails and getting off the asphalt, there is a real sense of joy when running on a trail that is unlike anything I have experienced. I feel like a child running through fields and the beauty of my surroundings is mind-blowing.

Over the last month, I have been busy with a project at work that has taken an immense amount of mental energy. It has not been the most enjoyable experience but I always maintain that you have to see things for the learning opportunities that they provide. Doing tedious work or work that you don't love, can make you appreciate the good projects when they come your way.

What I can't resolve is my ability to put things off until the last minute. It causes stress where there shouldn't be any. Thank goodness this is not the case with my training for the marathon. It is now two and a half weeks away and I believe I am ready to go the distance.

Onward and forward.