September 2, 2010

Tick-tock, time ticking away...

Somehow August was completely gobbled up by the time monster! During the past few weeks since the marathon I have been quite busy with work and still maintaining my running program both which have the ability to eat time.

This morning as I was reviewing my emails, it occurred to me that I hadn’t yet mailed my rent check ... I knew that yesterday was the first of the month, after all, I did call my father to wish him a happy birthday but somehow, along with work and running, I’ve been pleasantly distracted by a ‘special friend’ and these day to day things (like getting mail out on time) have a knack of slipping by the wayside.

On the theme of time ticking away, these last few weeks have brought some very old memories back into my thoughts, it feels like these “blasts-from-the-past” often come in waves. I had recently had contact from a few people that I had not thought about for a long time (like more than 20 years). Facebook does this! I never really know how to feel about this ‘access’ to my past, but I think I like it. Often as we move forward in life, we turn our backs on what was before but all our past is what shapes us into who we are today and that can’t be a bad thing becasue we would not be who we are if we did not have certain experiences.

Looking forward into September, I am approaching yet another birthday at the end of this month. I usually look forward to birthdays because I like to celebrate life and a birthday is a perfect opportunity to do so! I am looking especially forward to this one, I have a trip to Disneyland with friends planned!

Before my birthday comes around though, I am taking a short break to visit Hawaii to visit my friend Heather Howells. Heather and I will be taking part in the Maui Marathon. She will be running the full (26.2 miles) and I will run the half (13.1 miles). I had run this race once before in 2007 around the time that I had my first eye surgery to repair a detached retina and although I still took part in the race, I was not allowed to actually run it. I feel that I have unfinished business with this race so I am looking forward to having a strong race this year as well as a relaxing time in one of the most gorgeous places in the world.

I hope for my year ahead that I can continue to run, work, love and live. Life, after all is said and done, is there to be lived and time, even though it may spin faster every now and then, it's passing in itself, gives us a multitude of gifts. It makes us wiser and stronger if we give into it and listen to the tick-tock tick-tock of it's natural rhythm.

After all, life as I know it, is just as it should be. Perfect for me.